Cyberdyne Corp of Japan is now offering a strong exoskeleton called
HAL-5. It is 1.6 meters tall and weighs 23 Kg = 50 pounds.
Its battery will last about 4 hours and the exoskeleton is claimed to
give you a ten-fold increase in strength. Here is
another article with a video. The sale price is expected to be
HAL-5 exoskeleton for $4200
2. Anybots of
Mountain View, California, has introduced a new domestic robot to help you around the home.
Monty stands 1.7 m tall and weighs 72 Kg.
& Sanyo Electronics have combined forces to produce a new
household security robot called Roborior. It is about the
size of a large watermellon and is available in many bright colors.
It can be connected to your TV set so you can see what it sees. It
can also phone your cell-phone to report an intruder. It is mobile
on three wheels and can be moved via a remote control handset. The
cost is 280,000 Yen or about $2600. Here are other links: CBS
story and ABC
4. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has announced a household robot called
Wakamaru. This robot stands
about 1 meter tall and weighs 60 pounds. It will go on sale in Japan next year for 1 million Yen or
about $8500. Here is a Japanese
link. It can understand speech (Japanese) and can talk to
is a news story. It operates under Monta Vista Linux.
Wakamaru & friend.
5. A new Canadian company called Dr. Robot has
developed a small android called Dr. Robot which can be used either for entertainment or
as a home security system. This android can walk and stands about 60 cm
tall. It will be offered in May of 2003 for $1500 - $3000 each. The company is located in
Markham, Ontario, Canada.
- 6. Fujitsu Laboratories has developed a new robot designed to be remotely
- by mobile phone to operate electronic appliances and monitor home security.
- The robot, dubbed MARON-1, can
take pictures and relay them to the owner's
- mobile phone screen and be used as a voice-activated telephone.
- . Maron-1
- 7. iRobot is now offering a robotic home vacuum cleaner called the Roomba.
- This self-contained vacuum cleaner costs about $200.
- They now have 4 outlets.
- 8. Evolution Robotics is offering a fun
kit called the ER1, which
- transform your laptop into a MOBILE home-robot.
- The cost is $600.
- 9. The
Care-O-Bot II, a service robot designed for the care of sick
- or elderly, is now available. It is built by the IPA in Stuttgart,
- Germany. German
- 10. A home security robot called "Banryu" (guard
dragon) is now available.
- It looks like a nasty dog. It is 1 meter long, 80 cm tall, and 70 cm wide.
- It weighs about 40 kg (88 pounds). Its pretty expensive at
- It has been jointly developed by Sanyo & TMSUK.
- Here is another
- 11. A new domestic semi-android called TMSUK IV is now available
- in Japan for $45,000. They have sold about 15 so far. No doubt they
- will build one with legs next.
- There are some nice pictures here.
- It looks feminine.
- 12. Gecko Systems offers a Carebot.
They are now offering the MSR 3.4 for $20,000
- which can do lots of stuff. Check it out.
- 13. Friendly Machines is offering a
robot lawnmower. Its called the RL500.
- The cost is $525. You can call them at 1-888-404-7626
- 14. NEC has gotten into the act too. They are offering a small personal
- companion robot called the R100. It can talk
and see with 2 CCD
- cameras and roll around on its wheels. It can also recognize
- 15. NEC is also offering PaPeRo, another
personal robot. It is smaller and
- lighter than the R100, but otherwise it can do the same things
as the R100.